Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Better days

Today is tough for me. Tougher than I thought it would be. As this is the first day of school, I find that I now have one at each level of pre college education. Lan - High School, Kate - Jr High, and Chloe - elementary. As we dropped off Chloe, Christa and I were cut off at the front door, and watched our baby go off with someone we didn't know (Stranger Danger) down an unfamiliar hallway to her new classroom. I know, I know, they are trying to cut the separation anxiety at the knees, but I still don't like it.

We first did this first day of school some 10 year ago with Landon. I will never forget the lump in my throat as I watched my then little boy (close to 6 ft now) march into his school. A part of me ached, and I fought back the tears to see that. I sure did not think that would happen today, I mean I am 40 now, mature, experienced. Ouch, same lump and same feelings. Things have changed, a part of growing up is a loss of childlike wonder and innocence.

So I love the fall, I love school starting, but today was harder than I remembered. Better days are ahead. Yes everyone it is time for football, seasons change, and football. Yes I said football twice. Great days ahead, for so many of us.

Treasure the moments you have with your children. Time passes so fast.

Jay

No comments: